Thursday, October 8, 2009

Judy M. DalPonte, “Pillow Packets,” Ensign, Oct. 2009, 71

Pillow packets have helped me emphasize the love I have for my grandchildren when they come to visit. I have made the packets using legal-size paper envelopes fastened to the pillows on their guest beds. Inside, I tucked small messages and gifts that conveyed my love for them individually. Soon I discovered that sharing carefully chosen quotes from conference was a perfect addition to the packets. Not only do these mini-messages uplift my grandchildren, but they also bless me when I review each conference talk with them in mind. For me, the Church leaders’ words of encouragement for our youth, in particular, give me greater hope for our world and future.

I read this in the Ensign and loved the idea. Wouldn't it be great to make a note each day of something we love about each of our children and communicate it this way? I just imagine how cool it could be for a kid to come to expect these things every day, and the trust and strength that could be added to a relationship this way. Maybe I'm naive and the kid would just whine and be all sarcastic about it, but I bet deep down they'd appreciate it and it would make them feel valued. Besides that, it would make them aware that you notice their strengths and it might even challenge them to develop those parts of themselves. It's always encouraging to have a little acknowledgment. And adding inspirational quotes is genius. One of Kristen's many good influences on me has been the encouragement to make every moment a "teachable moment." I love how she demonstrates with her kids that every experience we have comes with some sort of lesson, if we'll only think it through or talk about it with someone. What a great way to learn about perspective, attitude, goals and standards to live by. The perfect habit to keep us aware of our choices and priorities, which likely will otherwise run away from us unchecked- and we might not like the directions we've gone without even realize we were headed that way. We can all use these reminders!

No comments: