Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Useless Ponderings on Life These Days

Today's life sure is different than it was in days gone by. I think a few humble observations of mine warrant a mention.

First of all, let's start with the changes in definitions. Seriously. A "tragedy" is now defined as an accidental death for which there is no one to be sued. And what ever happened to common sense? You know, there aren't many genius scientists alive who used to go around sticking metal things in electrical outlets or wonking their noggins on unpadded fireplace corners. I believe they call it something like, "Perpetuating the species" or something. There's something to be said for survival of the fittest; that's all I'm saying.

And you know, there are things I wonder if even my mother's generation had to deal with. Like avoiding a midnight snack in front of the t.v. for fear of early morning brain wash sales propaganda. Am I the only one who falls into their trap? I HAVE always liked those songs. Eighties music really IS timeless. With only three easy payments my life really can be so much richer. Thirty-five complete cd's, how can I afford NOT to call?

The kids and I were recently in a very minor accident (which, for once, was NOT my fault), and while the car was in the shop I of course drove a rental. Despite my uneasiness about the whole "Rental" situation (wrecking it, kids maiming it beyond repair, misjudging size while trying to parallel park) it worked out really well! Matt was out of town at the time so I had it all to myself (and the kids, duh). There we were- living the Minivan Dream. It couldn't have been more wonderful. Contrary to my high school notions, I was instantly in love. And it was a Kia for Heaven's sake! But seriously. Awesome. And I was just thinking, do you think cave women, too, dreamed of spacious middle row captain's seats and plenty of cargo room?

But not all differences have evolved over thousands of years. Some are as recent as weeks or months. For instance, I officially had to accept my maternal "loserhood" when I caught myself rocking out in front of the mirror to those familiar lyrics, "Sunny day, Sweeping the clouds away, On my way to where the air is clean!" Seriously. With the hairbrush microphone and everything. Didn't even realize it was weird- just a normal, everyday occurrence for me. So now I'm wondering, are we loser moms truly that rare a breed? Or perhaps, can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?

1 comment:

The Paulks said...

Let me start by saying that I have every ELMO song downloaded on my ipod for traveling convenience. I could pick up on the lyrics where you left off with... " Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?" You're not alone out there!