Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Wanna Hear Something Gross?

I'm still nursing Gabe, so I go through more water than you'd believe. Because of this, I keep a water glass on the edge of the high bar counter top across from the fridge, for easy access. The other day I was dying of dehydration so I hurriedly grabbed my cup and filled it, and gulped it down. It wasn't till I was sucking those last few drops out of the glass that I saw what was in the bottom of my cup. This, astonishingly, was the same moment I detected a funky, unnatural taste in my mouth. I noticed the bottom of the glass was not translucent for some reason. I spat the little water that was in my mouth back into the cup, and naturally, held up the glass for further inspection. I soon determined that the bottom of the cup was coated with about a two-millimeter-thick layer of old, sour, very gloppy and somewhat hardened milk- the leftover of what I'd poured for Jesse the night before.
Perhaps y'all can learn this lesson the easy way, from my mistake. Savor this wisdom: When you realize you've ingested something unintended and undesirable, suppress the urge to satisfy your curiosity. Do not examine the source. There are things worse than ignorance.

No comments: