Monday, July 2, 2007

Interactions With My Boys

From the front passenger seat of the car a few days ago I looked over at my guy with a heart full of affection and told him, "I love you, Matt," to which he quietly responded, " I love myself too."
But Matt's not the only one who spouts 'em off in the car without even thinking.
The other day we were driving and the baby was, as usual, sick of his car seat, which he expressed by wailing at the top of his lungs. I checked him to verify that all his limbs were intact and no one had stolen his birthday, but still he continued to cry. We'd all had enough but were enduring it well until Jesse couldn't resist the opportunity to discipline his little bro. He looked right at him, yelled "Bad Baby!" and spit on him. We're at a loss as to where he came up with this, cause Matt and I certainly don't talk to them like that. Or spit. The mystery lives on...
On that particular car ride there was also a point where Jesse was the one being disciplined. Matt was in the middle of delivering a small lecture when Jesse simply put his fingers in his ears and turned away, refusing to make eye contact. It came out of nowhere! It was like he was saying, "As long as I don't hear you or see you, your words are meaningless; and furthermore, I simply don't care to listen." I had a dog who did that when we bathed her. She'd turn her smug face away from us as we poured water over her, as if refusing to accept the situation. Okay, Babe. Whatever makes you feel better. Matt and I totally cracked up, by the way, when Jes did that. Well, we hid it as best as we could, but Jesse's no dumby.

The other day I overheard Matt talking to J-man in a baby voice. This is what he said.
"Jesse, you know when you was little you was just my favorite person ever? But now you're big and I just don't like you. Plus you smell like poo. You should go away."
Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?

Matt and Jesse have the SAME brain. I swear stuff like this happens all the time. This last week they were wrestling and Matt was laying on his back holding a helpless Jesse upside down over his face, when Matt quickly predicted the future. He's all, "Now watch, DK, he's gonna S-P-I-T on-" and that's when Jesse spit on him. This particular scenario had never taken place before, but when I asked Matt how he knew he was gonna do that, he matter-of-factly explained, "Cause that's what I would have done if I were him."

No comments: