Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Good Change

Cruising around this morning I found this article. I learned SO MUCH about something that I've been failing at. I was strongly impressed that our family needs to MAKE A CHANGE. After reading that article, we will no longer allow this harmful influence to dull our spiritual sensitivity. I was particularly struck by these points:

"The Spirit will not inhabit a polluted temple."

"We must recognize... and take responsibility for our choices." -(Ouch. Responsibility for choices is something I do my best to take very seriously.)

Maybe the most important part for me was the article's emphasis on the dulling impacts of violent entertainment on our senses, (spiritually speaking). I can remember some very distinct moments in my life of feeling wounded by violent images from movies, and by harsh, dark music. I remember being very aware that some good part of me had died, and trying to get the courage to stop the source. I'll admit, in recent years there have been a couple times I've seen one of my kids experience that spiritual pummeling from tv or movies. This article made me face that I have failed to adequately protect my family. I should be preventing these things, and when they have happened I should have talked to the boys and taught them why it was beneath our standards to watch that junk! So we're going to sit down as a family and talk about violence and what it does. I think it would be good to go through our dvd's as a family and decide what to throw away. Guess we'll have to talk about the difference between the lessons/ history taught from our scripture story movies, verses shows that use violence for entertainment. Also this seems like a perfect opportunity to discuss our other standards of what we watch/ listen to. "Uplifting and edifying" comes to mind.

So from now on there will be a heavier filter on what we bring into our home and minds. We've screened before, of course, but it will be good to make this conscious choice as a family. (We've never allowed video games so that's not an issue for us.) I feel really good about this! If you want to check out the article, see "It's 'Only' Violence," by Brad J. Bushman on lds.org, or copy this link:
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=590b74536cf0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

3 comments:

Emily said...

I remember doing this with CD'c when we were kids. Remember? Then we gave all the broken CD's to Scott Anderson.(only the best EFY speaker EVER!)

Living Lavallee said...

What a good reminder - I think I have become a bit desensitized to all the violence on CSI and that stuff I like to watch. It's so hard to give up our favorite sins!

Me said...

Way to go, Donna! As your kids get older, if you do decide to get them video games.... go with the wii. That's the only video game our kids own. The reason why you ask? Is because the games are almost all G rated LOL. It's awesome!

Another good rule of thumb to use when your kids get older..... would you watch this show/movie/music if Heavenly Father was standing her or if Oma was standing here. Pick someone that they can truly identify with. That will help them self regulate their actions.

Love ya girl. You're doing an awesome job!
Aunt Ellayna